6 medium size red-skinned potatoes, peeled and cut into matchsticks
1 large white onion, peeled and finely sliced
20 anchovy fillets (I used sweet white ones – ideally use Swedish anchovies), chopped
50 g butter
170 ml single cream
200 ml double cream
Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
20 g sourdough breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C.
- Season the potatoes well (but use less salt if using the tinned anchovy fillets in oil). Place the potatoes in a bowl with the onion and anchovies and some of the anchovy oil and mix gently. Spoon into a buttered ovenproof/gratin dish. Dot with the remaining butter.
- Warm the cream gently. When hot (but not boiling) pour over the potatoes until they are almost covered.
- Cover with foil and bake for about 1½ hours until soft. Remove the foil, sprinkle over the sourdough breadcrumbs, and return to the oven and continue to bake until bubbling, crusty and crispy.
- Leave to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Serve with crusty bread and salad or green vegetables.