375 g plain flour, sifted
250 g cold unsalted butter, diced
65 g golden caster sugar
30 g Demerara sugar
30 g light soft brown sugar
6 cardamom pods, seeds removed and ground into powder
1 tsp vanilla paste or seeds from a pod
4 g sea salt
Handful of pistachios, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees celsius (conventional).
- Rub the butter and flour lightly, with the tips of your fingers, until it forms breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugars, salt, cardamom, vanilla, pistachios and rose petals and mix to form a crumbly dough.
- Put the dough on a silicone mat, pat into a circle and roll into an even-thickness circle. Cut into rounds, approximately 5 mm thick. Sprinkle with more pistachios and rose petals and a little Demerara sugar and press in gently.
- Place on a baking try lined with baking parchment and rest in the fridge for 30 min.
- Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes until pale golden, turning half way through.
Cool on a rack.
Perfect with a cup of tea, or for breakfast with orange baked rhubarb and creamy yoghurt.