Deliciously easy (and you can keep them – uncooked – in the freezer for a later date)
- 500 g premium sausage meat
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 10 sage leaves, finely chopped (or a teaspoon of dried mixed herbs)
- Salt and pepper
- Pack of all-butter puff pastry
- Beaten egg
- Sesame or nigella seeds, Aleppo pepper (optional)
- 1 tbsp Tabasco and 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- OR a slice of n’duja (and swap the herbs for toasted fennel seeds)
- Heat oven to 200 degrees (conventional oven).
- Mix the first 4 ingredients together (plus any optional extras).
- Roll out the pastry into a large rectangle, 2-3 mm thick. Cut pastry in half lengthwise to form two rectangles.
- Squeeze the sausage meat into a long roll and lay in the centre of the pastry. Brush one of the long sides of the pastry with beaten egg and roll up into a sausage. Make sure the edges of the pastry are sealed. Turn over so the seal is underneath. Wrap in cling film, and then chill for 30 mins in the fridge (not strictly necessary but it makes the rolls easier to cut).
- Cut each roll into 8 to 10 portions, brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with the seeds (and Aleppo pepper, if you have any, for a little warmth and depth of flavour).
- Bake in oven for 15-20 mins until golden brown and the sausage meat is cooked.