360 ml full fat milk
½ tsp caster sugar
7 g dried yeast
125 g strong white bread flour
125 g self-raising flour
1 ½ tsp sea salt
1 tbsp vegetable oil
Vegetable oil for greasing pan
- Warm the milk and sugar in a pan until it reaches body temperature.
- Sift flour, yeast and salt into a large bowl. Add the warm milk and whisk until smooth.
- Cover, and leave for about 1 hour until the batter has doubled in size and bubbles appear.
- Heat a heavy (ideally iron) frying pan on a high heat. Ladle in a spoonful of mixture into the pan, repeat twice so you are cooking 3 pikelets simultaneously. Lower the heat and cook for 3 minutes. The pikelets will puff up and bubbles will start to form on the top when they are ready to be turned over. Flip and cook for a further 3 minutes, until golden brown.
- Keep in a warm oven until the rest are ready, then serve.